AutoCAD 2018 (beta codename Omega):
Many changes under the hood including major performance improvements but some also required changes to the DWG file format. We had been trying to hold off on impact to file formats but over the past 5 years the time had come with all the queued up changes to change the file format. I can assure you the changes were due to software architecture.
- PDF Import Enhancements
- External Reference Path Enhancements
- High-Resolution (4K) Monitor Support
- AutoCAD 2018 Preview Guide (PDF)
- From the new AutoCAD Blog Introducing AutoCAD 2018
Inventor 2018 (beta codename Elon):
In addition to performance under the hood there are a lot of enhancements including the following:
- Measure tool
- 3D Annotations
- ANYCAD for Inventor
- Read more on the blog post by Synergis
Please note that not all 2018 products are released from beta or non disclosure agreements. If you have questions and are in an active beta please ask your questions in the private beta forums.