Space exploration is one of those topics that grabs the imagination of both the young and old. So many young children dream of reaching the moon and stars as an astronaut, I know I did. I don't know why but space has always been a favorite of mine and one of the highlights of my life was attending as a VIP the launch of the final Space Shuttle Discovery and meeting several current astronauts and Apollo era astronauts and launch personnel all gathered to say their goodbyes top the retiring space shuttle program.
In addition to the food and drink included with their ticket to the Design Night event attendees experienced a special Design Night with the space theme and the number of speakers. Speakers included the famous Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield who this time was not singing Major Tom from the Space Station and also a special message from the legendary Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin.
The program for the evening:
Jonathan Knowles Autodesk Director, Strategic Initiatives was the organizer of this Design Night giving a presentation and introducing the esteemed speakers.
Chris Hadfield Canadian Astronaut
Bob Richards CEO of Moon Express
Mike Chen Made in Space
Yvonne Cagle NASA Astronaut
About the Design Night Found in Space:
- A record 4 Speakers
- About 500 attendees
- The awesome music DJs were employees Maurice Conti and his son were known as MC2.
- The Autodesk Gallery wall projections showed vintage space photos, artwork Space Babes by Christine Bateman, and live feed from the space station
- Several 80s arcade games with space themes like Space Invaders and Asteroids.
- A Science Fair with Made in Space and their 3D Printer, Planet Labs sending nano satellites up this September, Moon Express' Lunar lander model MX1 was there and a payload space telescope owned by Steve Durst , five representatives of the Chabot Space & Science Center brought several amazing space related exhibits.
- Various activities for attendees such as they could make their own tinfoil headgear.
- Instructables was showing their communities space related projects.
The Right Design Stuff Begins Here - Huffington Post Article
Discussions of space with astronauts and modern day space pioneers combined with great exhibits and activities, good food and drink, all in an amazing location. No better way to spend an evening.
Next Month May 2014 Autodesk "Design Night: Make your own way" will be held May 1, 2014 at the Autodesk Gallery in San Francisco.
Get your tickets early before they sell out, and they will.