Applause arose today from cubicles around the world as Autodesk’s AutoCAD Team announced live three new AutoCAD products for the Mac platform. One was expected and two were pure cinnamon sugar crisp on the hot Apple pie dessert.
It was just mentioned on a live Facecast on Facebook
The AutoCAD Mac Trifecta
- AutoCAD for Mac 2012
- AutoCAD LT 2012 for Mac (Ralph, it is true)
- AutoCAD WS for Mac
From the press release
AutoCAD for Mac 2012 software includes familiar AutoCAD capabilities, such as 2D and 3D design tools, and includes 3D free-form modeling capabilities; 3D visualization and rendering; network licensing; advanced customization of the menus; support for LISP and ObjectARX and ObjectDBX applications; and more.
AutoCAD LT for Mac Brings Professional Apps to Mac App Store
AutoCAD LT for Mac is perfectly suited for designers, architects and engineers who prefer to work in a native Mac environment and need to create, edit or review designs, technical drawings and documentation.
Like the popular AutoCAD WS mobile app Autodesk released last September, AutoCAD WS for Mac is a simple, free* app providing basic, intuitive tools for viewing, editing and sharing designs. Through its synchronous coediting feature, users may also collaborate on designs across multiple platforms — desktop, mobile and web.
AutoCAD 2012 for Mac!
The second release of AutoCAD for Mac has been announced and contains many enhancements requested in feedback from AutoCAD for Mac and also including many AutoCAD 2012 for Windows features. users. Below is list some of the changes I noticed in this new release which to me feels like it has added some raw horsepower to its performance.
Some of my screenshots
Some of the new:
- Apple OSX 10.7 Lion native support
- More 3D functionality
- AutoCAD WS integration for sharing drawings online for other to view, markup and limited editing on the web or mobile devices.
- Associative Arrays
- Auto-complete command entry
- Drawing Recovery
- Edit Xref in Place and Open Xref (requested in feedback from the first AutoCAD 2011 for the Mac release.
- External Reference visor
- Hatch visor
- Export to PDF
- Layer Tools such as Layer Match LAYMDCH and LAYMCUR
- Mleader enhancements
- Multi-function grips
- Network Licensing
- Performance Improvements
- Plot Style Table Editor
- UI Changes such as new preferences and controls even Theme overrides to set your AutoCAD 2012 Mac up to the colors you prefer not just light or dark themes that you were limited to with AutoCAD 2011 for Mac. Also several icon and menu changes.
- And more
For more information about AutoCAD 2012 for Mac software,
To download a 30-day trial version of AutoCAD for Mac,
AutoCAD for Mac 2012 is offered free to students and educators through the Autodesk Education Community.
AutoCAD LT 2012 for Mac!
How is AutoCAD LT 2012 for the Mac different from AutoCAD 2012 for the Mac you ask? It is only sold via the Mac App Store for delivery and only the US/Canada. There are three other main differences similar to the Windows versions of AutoCAD LT compared to full AutoCAD.
- 3D Modeling: AutoCAD LT for Mac does not contain any tools for 3D modeling or conceptual design.
- Customization: AutoCAD LT for Mac cannot be extended or customized to the extent that AutoCAD for Mac can.
- Network License: AutoCAD for Mac can be run via a network license. This option is not available for AutoCAD LT for Mac.
More info: http://www.autodesk.com/autocadltformac
AutoCAD WS for Mac!
Besides being integrated into the new releases of AutoCAD 2012 for the Mac you can get AutoCAD WS for the Mac in the Mac App Store.
A nice AutoCAD WS Mobile change is you can now use AutoCAD WS on multiple devices without having to re-log into your account on each launch on each device.
New for AutoCAD WS Mobile 1.3
- Units Typing – Numeric Entry: Draw and edit by entering exact units and measurements
- File Management: Rename, duplicate, and delete files from your mobile device
- Area measurement: Calculates the area and perimeter of the area you select.
- Layer management: Toggle layers on/off or toggle layer visibility
- AutoCAD WS is also compatible with iOS 3.1 and higher so that you can run the AutoCAD WS mobile app from an original iPhone 2G.
New in AutoCAD WS Web
- Command line
- Hatch editor
- Multi selection (200 items)
AutoCAD for Mac 2012 and AutoCAD WS for Mac will be available worldwide on August 19, 2011. AutoCAD LT for Mac will only be available in the U.S. and Canada on August 16, 2011.