For all those involved in piping here is a fun specification to add to your drawing to see if the shop foreman is really reading your notes. I don't remember the origin of this creative piping humor but I used it back in my piping and vessel design days.
1. All pipe is to be made of a long hole, surrounded by metal centered around the hole.
2. All pipe is to be hollow throughout the entire length.
3. All pipe is to be of the very best quality, preferably tubular or pipular.
4. All acid-proof pipe is to made of acid-proof metal.
5. The O.D. (outside diameter) of the pipe MUST EXCEED the I.D. (inside diameter) otherwise the hole will be on the outside of the pipe.
6. All pipe is to be supplied with nothing inside the hole so water, steam, or other stuff can be put inside the pipe at a later date.
7. All pipe is to be supplied without rust, as this can be more readily put on at the job site.
8. All pipe is to be free of any covering such as mud, tar, barnacles or any form of manure before putting up, otherwise it will make lumps under the paint.
9. All pipe over 500 feet in length must have the words "Long Pipe" clearly painted on each end so the fitter will know it is a long pipe.
10. Pipe over two miles long must also have "Long Pipe" painted in the middle so the fitter will not have to walk the entire length of the pipe to determine if it is a long pipe or not.
11. All pipes over six inches in diameter is to have the words "Large Pipe" painted on so the fitter will not use it for a small pipe.
12. All pipe closures are to be open on one end.
13. All pipe fittings are to be made of the same stuff as the pipe.
14. Pipe specified as "Straight Pipe" shall not have fittings within its length, otherwise it becomes "Crooked Pipe."