This is NOT an April Fools joke to the relief of many Project Memento users out there.
We just launched a new update of Project Memento, our an end-to-end solution for converting any reality capture input (photos, scans) into high quality 3D mesh that can then be cleaned up, fixed, prepared and optimized for further digital use or fabrication.
We now support two workflows:
• Create a new mesh from photos, clean up, fix and optimize for export or 3D print.
• Work on existing mesh made elsewhere and do clean up, fix and optimize for export or 3D print.
Getting started guide (PDF)
Here is the list of improvements:
• First implementation of photo-to-mesh creation from within Memento. The process is fully automated and offers great first integrated experience for creation of mesh from photo. The quality of the photo reconstruction is set to Normal (a level between Preview and Ultra) and is free of charge. Note that this first implementation of creating meshes from photos in Memento is limited in comparison with Photo on PeCap360 (no manual stitch, survey points or distance input yet). But it’s a start!
• .STL import
• In-product connection to the Autodesk 3D print utility, save as .STL, as Objet, or Makerbot Project files.
• In-product live update. Starting with this release there will be an in-product notification whenever we launch a new update. Good timing, as we plan to start updating more frequently!
Please take 15 minutes to read the Getting Started Guide – it takes a lot of effort to write it, but it informs of best practices and answers many questions that come up.
Project Memento is an Autodesk Labs preview of an end-to-end solution for converting any reality capture input (photos, scans) into high quality 3D mesh that is can be cleaned up, fixed, and optimized for further digital use or for fabrication.
Here is an example 3D model of a extinct mammoth skull created from photos.I took the photos while at the workshop of fossil expert Brock Sisson.
Textured mammoth 3D model
- From Photos to 3D mesh, first iteration (New)
- Supported import file formats: native .RCM, .OBJ, and .STL (New)
Mesh clean up, fixing and handling:
- Fast loading of large meshes (tested with 400mil+ poly)
- Visualization of large mesh geometry + texture (wireframe, solid, textured mode)
- Clean up of unnecessary noise or busy surrounding
- Cutting edge mesh analysis/diagnostic and fixing tools that work on large meshes
- Smart cleanup tools
- Semi-automated and manual mesh fix tools for fixing holes, spikes and particles
- New bridging technique for fixing large holes
- Fixing in Isolation mode to easier work with isolated parts of the bigger mesh
- 10 level undo-redo
- Export to .OBJ or .STL or save as .RCM
Mesh preparation for downstream use:
- Decimation tools during export (1-99% decimation range)
3D Printing support
- Prepare the mesh for 3D printing
- Save as printable STL, ..
- direct connection to a variety of 3D printers
In-product Live update for all upcoming memento updates (New)
Project Memento will be available until July 15, 2014.