- Dimensions on the correct layerSummary: An option to place all dimensions on a user defined layer, eliminating the need to change layers when dimensioning an object.
Description: Placing Dimensions on a given layer has always been on task we all dread trying to remember.
A button in the Dimension Dialog Box would allow all Dimension to be placed on a given layer.
But just like dimensions they would allow for an override.
How Used: Allow a check box for Dimensions to be on a given layer, and then key-in that layer name, or allow a pull-down from the Layers Manager.
But allow for Overrides.
Submitted By: Kirk Crawford on February 5, 2006
- Valid Hatch Boundary ErrorSummary: When a valid hatch boundary not found error occurs, show why the boundary is invalid so it can be fixed.
Description: That the Boundary Definition Error "valid hatch boundary not found" show the reasons why the boundary is invalid so as to enable me to fix it immediately.
How Used: This would save a great deal of time and drawing space. I would not have to redraw borders and hatch to the new object, or try to discover the reason for the error and find the hidden opening in a complex object, rather I would fix the boundary and move on to the next.
Submitted By: Lisa Cameron on February 7, 2006
- Break symbol in dim lines Summary: The ability to add a break symbol to a dimension line and still maintain the correct dimension.
Description: Break Symbol in the Dimension line
How Used: There are times when I will have to use a break symbol on my drawing but I want to be able to dimension the item. I think it would be useful to have the ability to dimension and be able to chose a dimension line with a break symbol and enter the value.
Submitted By: Donald Boyer on April 3, 2006
- Better insertion of word or excel files into AutoCADSummary: The ability to insert word or excel files without having the appearance of them change in AutoCAD
Description: insert a Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Word file in a drawing as an AutoCAD entity without effecting the format of the inserted file.
How Used: I would like to insert a Microsoft office or excel file as AutoCAD entity without changing the format or the look of the original file.
Submitted By: Sarmad Gorial on January 4, 2006
- Compare DrawingsSummary: The ability to compare two drawings and visibly show the changes between the drawings.
Description: I want to see the ability to compare two drawings, nothing fancy, just compare line for line and generate a new drawing showing the differences. Use three colors for unchanged, added, and deleted.
How Used: We frequently have several drawings in different states of revision. It would be helpful to be able to see what has changed.
Submitted By: Jerry Runnels on March 23, 2006
- Draworder setting for layersSummary: The ability to set a draworder to specific layers
Description: Layers having a Draworder Settings.
How Used: When creating layers, the user would assign a draworder value to that layer. For example, layers will have a hierarchy value of 1 thru 3. Value 1 will always be on the bottom, 2 in the middle and 3 always being on top. IF this does not create a performance issue, then it would be nice to have even a greater issue of control, such as a hierarchy value of 1 thru 5.
Submitted By: Ted Krush on January 18, 2006
- 3D to 2D conversion tool Summary: A better way to convert 3D drawings to 2D drawings when not using solids.
Description: I would like to have an exact 3D to 2D conversion tool in model space.
How Used: There is only an OLD and inaccurate DXB (or WMF) option to do such conversions in model space. Layouts support it, but only for solid models. Such a conversion would be a great feature for architects with possibility to convert solids as well as surfaces (terrains) or objects with thickness. 2D projection drawings would offer a wide possibility making use of the new 2D presentation graphics capabilities.
Submitted By: Vesna Kriznar on February 3, 2006
- Double click to open dimensionsSummary: The ability to double click on a dimension and have it open in the text editor.
Description: I wish that when you double click the text on dimensions that it would open the text editor.
How Used: I would double click the text on the dimension.
Submitted By: Ted Wessale on January 26, 2006
- Create hatchesSummary: The ability to create hatches in AutoCAD
Description: The ability to create hatch
How Used: I would like to be able to creates hatches such as plywood or other materials easily with a hatch editor/creator.
Submitted By: Alex Guard on March 31, 2006
- Default Printer when opening drawing with unrecognized printer Summary: When opening a drawing that has an unrecognized printer, the default printer should be used instead of "none"
Description: Provide a default printer/plotter name to be assigned when you open a drawing with an unrecognized printer instead of selecting "None" at the moment.
How Used: It would make plotting other people's work much easier
Submitted By: George Drayton on March 31, 2006
I know you can do some of these items already one way or another but the customer wishes are loud and clear to do it better or add them to core AutoCAD such as the break dimension lines which is already in AutoCAD Mechanical.
If you want to see some of the behind the scenes discussions on these items and their possible implementation join the Autodesk MyFeedback (http://myfeedback.autodesk.com) for providing your feedback to the product teams and also beta testing new releases and help shape the future of the products. Thanks to the users and AUGI for this great list and I will see what we can do to fulfill the wishes.