I received my shiny new Apple Watch Friday and spent the weekend getting used to it and seeing if I was going to keep it, return it, or sell it. For the record I did not get the expensive edition of the watch. I am also a person that normally wore a regular watch as well as my FitBit on my wrist but now I can get rid of those and rely on just the one Apple Watch.
Here are a few of my initial thoughts and impressions of this smart watch.
- Nice and stylish watch.
- Build quality is excellent.
- The haptic alerts (vibrations) are truly freaky and makes it feel like someone tapped my wrist.
- The notifications at times sounds like bells in another room causing me to turn my head sideways before remembering to look at the watch.
- The user interface (UI) would be better for little fingers and takes some getting used to.
- Apps – It was nice using some apps like weather, calendar, Uber, Airline, and Yelp on the watch.
- Siri was nice on the watch and only text, not a voice luckily.
- I felt I was taking my phone out of my pocket far less to check what time it was, the weather, and any messages or emails.
- I accidently wrist dialed someone from my watch when exploring it but found that picking my phone up and putting it to my ear transferred the call from my watch to the phone seamlessly.
- No issues with battery life when paired to my phone although one running app caused my phone to drain of battery life in an hour run.
Could I live without this new gadget//watch – yes, but it is nice to see not only the time and temp at an fast easy glance on the wrist but also easily see many of the same notifications and data I always had to pull my phone out to check.
Am I keeping this watch, yes I am.